student with book

Career and College Promise

Mission Statement

Because of our interest in students’ individual journeys, we are here to support, advocate, and empower high school students to overcome obstacles as they walk towards growth and purpose.

FREE College in High School!

RCC High School Hub LogoDid you know? Randolph Community College's Career & College Promise (CCP) Program allows high school sophomores (starting spring 2024), juniors and seniors to take tuition free college courses! This program allows eligible students to enroll in college classes at North Carolina community colleges. If they complete these college courses, they can earn both high school and college credit! Oh, and did we mention it's FREE?

Career & College Promise offers students the option to choose from these pathways:

  • College Transfer - Designed for students planning to continue their educational career beyond high school to eventually achieve an associate's or bachelor's degree at a community college or university.
  • Career & Technical Education - Allows students to begin a certification or diploma program in a particular technical field or career area.
  • Continuing Education (*Dependent on state school approval) - Includes programs such as Certified Production Technician, Emergency Medical Technician, Firefighter, HVAC (Heating & Air), Plumbing, Pharmacy Technician, Small Engine Repair & Veterinary Assistant.

The state of North Carolina waives the tuition for students. Asheboro City Schools, Randolph County School System, and Uwharrie Charter Academy purchase textbooks for their enrolled students, and RCC waives student fees for this program.

Meet Your Coaches!

* Note for Appointments: Students, please sign-in as a "guest" *

Misty West Photo



Brandy May Photo

Stacy Pan Photo


Montana Hamlet Photo
Kim Hall Photo

You're Interested! What's Next?

College Transfer Pathways

  • Be a sophomore, junior or senior, and
  • Be making academic progress toward high school graduation.
  • Juniors or seniors must:
    • Have an unweighted GPA of 2.8 or higher on high school courses or demonstrate college readiness in English, Reading, and Mathematics on an assessment test(s) *see the chart below for more information.
    • Meet all college course prerequisites.
  • Sophomores must:
    • Be a high school sophomore, and
    • Be identified as gifted by:
      • Local AIG plan in English/reading and math, or
      • An aptitude and achievement test as evidenced by a score in the range between the 92nd percentile and the 99th percentile on the aptitude and the achievement test included in the current Mental Measurements Yearbook published by the Buros Institute of Mental Measurements, and
    • Demonstrate college readiness in English, reading and mathematics on an approved assessment; (See below for college readiness scores), and
    • Receive recommendation verifying the student has the maturity to enroll from high school principal or equivalent administrator; and receive recommendation of AIG Coordinator (if one is employed by the district), and
    • Receive approval of college president or the college’s chief student development administrator or the college’s chief academic officer, and
    • Receive written consent of the student’s parent/guardian, and
    • Receive academic advising prior to enrollment in the program.

To maintain eligibility for continued enrollment, a student must:

  • Continue to make progress toward high school graduation, and
  • Maintain a 2.0 GPA in college coursework after completing two courses, and
  • Submit an updated high school transcript each academic term.
Career Technical Pathways
  • Be a junior or senior
  • Be enrolled in at least one high school course
  • Have high school designee's approval OR demonstrate college readiness on assessment tests below. (CTE pathways with UGETC classes in them must follow College Transfer eligibility requirements.)
  • Meet all college course prerequisites

Test Scores To Demonstrate College Readiness

  • PSAT 10 and PSAT/NMSQT 2015 and Future**
    • English: 26 or a composite score of 460 for Evidenced-Based Reading and Writing
    • Reading: 26 or a composite score of 460 for Evidenced-Based Reading and Writing
    • Mathematics: 24.5 or 510
  • ACT and Pre-ACT
    • English: 18
    • Reading: 22
    • Mathematics: 22
  • RISE
    • English/Reading: 70 or higher on Tier 1 and Tier 2
    • Math: 70 or higher on Tier 1, 2, and 3
  • SAT (March 2016 and Future)
    • English: 480 Evidence-Based Reading & Writing
    • Reading: 480 Evidence-Based Reading & Writing
    • Mathematics: 530
  • NC DAP (NCCCS Cut Score)
    • English: Composite score of 151 or higher
    • Reading: Composite score of 151 or higher
    • Mathematics: 7 on each assessment for DMA 010 thru 060

Step 1: Get your RCC accounts set up. Follow these steps and view your schedule. Check for an email from your RCC Representative with the following information.

Step 2: Complete the online orientation course by the start of the semester. You will find the CCP Orientation Course in Moodle. (This is where you will find important information regarding books, parking passes, etc.) 

Step 3: Enroll in your school’s Remind group. Check with your RCC representative for that code. 

Step 4: Mark your calendar for the start of the semester to log in and complete your syllabus quiz for online classes or attend if in a face-to-face class. 

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

This is a lot of technical jargon, but it ultimately comes down to who you, the student, gives permission to access any of your educational files and/or records. Please clarify this information with your High School Hub representative or someone in Student Services.

The College's policy for the administration of student educational records is in accordance with the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. FERPA affords students certain rights with respect to their educational records. They are as follows:

  • The right to inspect and review the student's educational records within 45 days of the day RCC receives a request for access. Students should submit to the registrar, vice president for student services, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The College official will make arrangements for access and will notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the College official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  • The right to request the amendment of the student's educational records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading. Students may ask the College to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the College official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the College decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the College will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his/her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  • The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's educational records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by RCC in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the College has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his/her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an educational record in order to fulfill his/her professional responsibility.
  • The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Randolph Community College to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Ave. SW, Washington, D.C. 20202-4605.
  • The right to obtain a copy of Randolph Community College's student records policy (available from the Registrar's Office).

Students with Disabilities

Students with disabilities may contact the office of Student Services for assistance. It is recommended that students meet with the disability professional at Randolph Community College to learn how to receive accommodations for college classes. Tammy Cheek can be reached at 336-633-0246 or Policies regarding accommodations for college classes are different from policies for high school class accommodations. Information on accommodations for students at Randolph Community College can be accessed here. 

Parent FAQ:

Can high school students enroll in a community college outside of Career & College Promise?

No, except for some non-credit courses taken on a self-supporting basis, including safe driving courses.

What is the maximum number of college credits that a CCP student can take?

CCP students can take five classes per semester. Students must complete the entire CCP pathway before pursuing additional courses. All CCP participants must maintain eligibility status.

Are local colleges permitted to let high school students take a course outside the pathway concurrently with their pathway-completing course?

No, students must complete their pathway before taking additional courses.

Can high school students take community college courses in the summer and have tuition waived?

All curriculum courses taken by Career & College Promise students at community colleges in accordance with in G.S. 115D-20(4) are tuition-waived except courses offered on a self-supporting basis. (This applies to Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters.)

Will CCP students receive honors or AP credit for completing college courses?

All community college courses included on the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) will receive weighted credit in accordance with NCDPI policy GCS-L-004. CTE and other courses not included in the CAA are not eligible for weighted credit.

Are there any community college courses that DPI will allow to count towards high school core course graduation requirements?

Yes, principals are permitted to award dual credit based upon course content relative to available high school courses and State Board of Education policy GCS-M-001, which allows students in a College Transfer pathway to receive high school credit toward graduation requirements using community college courses. Additionally, some CTE college courses may count towards high school CTE core requirements. Contact the high school counselor or principal for more information.

Are there any minimum class attendance requirements for CCP students?

CCP students enrolled in community college courses will be held to the same attendance and academic requirements as traditional college students.

What constitutes a “junior" or “senior” standing for CCP?

Junior or senior standing is determined by the local school administrative unit.

Home school students and private school students:

  • Are home school and private school students eligible to participate in Career & College Promise?
    Yes, students attending a registered home school or a private school may participate in CCP. Generally, private school students are required to establish eligibility using the same criteria applied to public school students (GPA, assessment scores). Home school students and students from private schools not using traditional grading scales shall follow the community college’s established procedures for assessing eligibility and determining placement.
  • Can a college set a minimum and maximum age limit for home-schooled students? How do we know if they are juniors or seniors?
    No, the home school student’s principal (usually the parent) must certify that the student is a junior or senior and is making progress toward graduation.


  • Who pays the cost of the student’s text books?
    Textbooks are a student’s responsibility, however there may be local provisions for them. A student’s high school, the school district, or another local organization may cover these costs. Students should check with their principal or counselor to verify how these costs are paid.
  • Are student fees (e.g., technology fees and insurance fees) waived in addition to the waived tuition for CCP students?
    No, however local school districts and community colleges should work together to determine whether and how student fees will be paid for CCP participants.
  • Are any funds available to assist the high schools with transporting students to the college’s campus?
    Cooperative Innovative High Schools (including early college high schools, middle college high schools, and other CIHS models) receive transportation funds as part of a larger funding allotment at each district. No additional transportation funding is available for other CCP students.

Connect With Us!

336-318-4913 Instagram YouTube