International Students

Thank you for your interest in Randolph Community College (RCC). RCC is approved to issue I-20 forms for associate degree programs, including university transfer Associate in Science or Associate in Arts degrees. (The I-20 form proves that you are legally enrolled in a program of study here in the U.S.) Please read the following information carefully and complete all required forms. Your accuracy and timeliness in providing the information will assist us in processing your application.

Application Deadlines

International students should submit applications two months prior to the term in which they intend to enroll. (example: Fall = August, application = June) 

New Students

This is a student who resides outside the United States. The student wants to apply to receive an I-20. With this I-20, the student will apply for an F-1 student visa to come to RCC and study as a full-time student.

To receive an I-20 for most programs of study, a student must complete the following steps, however students should also review our application process to ensure all admissions requirements have been met for the intended program of study:

  • Submit an Application for Admission.
  • Request an evaluation of your secondary and post-secondary transcripts by a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) member and have the evaluation sent to RCC. For a full list of NACES members, please visit: The member (not the student) must send the evaluation report directly to RCCs Office of Records, Registration and Admissions.
  • Demonstrate English proficiency in one of the following ways:
    • Applicant’s country of citizenship is an English-speaking country, and English is the applicant’s native language.
    • Submission of a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) iBT score of 65 or above for the total score and no single score below 16. For additional information about the TOEFL, please visit
    • Meeting benchmarks using college-approved placement tests
    • Successful completion of a college-level English course at a US college or university
    • Exceptions to the policies above need to be approved by the Principal Designated School Official (PDSO).
  • Documentation of adequate financial support. All applicants must submit a notarized I-134 Affidavit of Financial Support. It must also be accompanied by an original letter from the applicant's bank or financial institution verifying the availability of funds to support a full-time student and any accompanying dependents each year of study. An I-20 form will not issued until all financial documentation is received and approved. If your financial documentation is insufficient, you will not be issued an I-20.
  • Report of Medical History and Immunization Record signed by a practicing physician is required. A TB test is required within the last 12 months. If the TB test result is positive, the chest x-ray result within the last 12 months is required. (Please note: The TB test result and chest x-ray result require a date.)

Students with F-1 visa or status, must follow these steps:

  • Make a check-in appointment with the Office of Student Success.
  • You are required to check in with the Office of Student Success after you enter the United States. You will have to check in with our office no later than the program start date on #5 of your I-20. Please bring your passport, I-20, I-94 card (if applicable), and approval notice (if applicable).
  • Complete placement assessment.
  • After you take the placement test, you will meet with a student counselor to discuss test scores and registration for classes.
  • Register for classes. (You must register as a full-time student.)
  • Pay tuition and buy books.

Transfer Students

This is a student who is currently in the United States studying at an institution with a current I-20. The student wants to apply to RCC to transfer his or her I-20 to study as a full-time student. If you are currently an F-1 student in the U.S. and want to transfer to RCC, you must submit the following documents.

  • Ensure steps listed above under New Students are completed, as well as the steps listed below:
  • A Visa Clearance Form completed by the International Student Advisor at your current school.
  • A photocopy of your previous I-20s, I-94 card (front and back) or F-1 entry stamp of your passport, passport photo page with expiration date, and F-1 visa page of your passport.

Change of Status to F-1

This is a student who is currently in the United States with an immigration status. However, the student wants to apply to receive an I-20. With this I-20, the student will apply with Immigration for a change of status from his or her current status to F-1 student status. Please complete the applicable RCC Admissions Requirements as noted above and the Form I-539.

Change of Address

One of your responsibilities as an F-1 student is to maintain an updated address with the Office of Records, Registration and Admissions. This must be completed within 10 business days.

Maintaining F-1 Status
  • Register and maintain a minimum of 12 credit hours every Fall and Spring semester. You can only take one online course per 12 credit hours per semester. A "W" does not count towards the minimum of 12 credit hours. If you have difficulty with this requirement, you must meet with the International Student Coordinator to discuss your situation before you register. F-1 Visa status has no provision for part-time study.
  • Know the expiration date of your I-20, Visa and Passport. Your I-20 can be extended or changed by the Office of Student Success. Your visa can only be renewed outside the U.S. at a Consulate or Embassy in your home country. Your passport can be renewed in the U.S. by your home country embassy.
  • DO NOT work without authorization. Work authorization for F-1 students is very limited.
  • Keep the Office of Student Success notified of any changes in your mailing address, phone number, visa status or enrollment status.

Remember: It is always best to check with the Office of Student Success if you have questions about immigration or visa status issues.

F-1 Extension of Stay

If your I-20 is expiring and you would like to continue to study at RCC, you will need to extend your I-20. In order to extend your I-20, you will submit an updated bank letter with the sufficient funds along with the I-20 Extension Request Form. You MUST extend your I-20 before the program end date on #5 of your I-20. Please do not wait until the last day to extend your I-20. When you bring the required documents, we will review your transcript, bank letter, and I-20 Extension Request Form to determine if you have made progress towards completion. If you have numerous of failures and/or retakes, we will not be able to extend your I-20.

Transfer Out

If you would like to transfer your I-20 to another institution, your first step is to apply to the institution. Once you have been fully accepted and made a final decision, please bring your acceptance letter and any forms that must be completed for the other institution to the Office of Student Success. 

Form 8843 IRS

International students and scholars must file IRS Form 8843.

Estimated Expenses

  • 1st Semester Fall
    • Tuition & Fees: $3,201
    • Books & Supplies: $566
  • 2nd Semester Spring
    • Tuition & Fees: $3,201
    • Books & Supplies: $566
  • 3rd Term Summer
    • Tuition & Fees: $2,401
    • Books & Supplies: $373
  • Total (1 year)
    • Tuition & Fees: $8,803
    • Books & Supplies: $1,505
    • Living Expenses (estimated): $20,487
    • Total Expenses: $30,795

The above estimates are based on costs for a full-time single student (12 credit hours). Tuition and fees are fixed costs subject to increase at any time by the N.C. General Assembly. For the current tuition and fee schedule, please visit the Tuition & Fees page. The other items are estimates and should be considered as the minimum. Any student who plans to bring dependents with him or her to the U.S. will have to document additional funds to accommodate increased living expenses and health insurance costs.

The complete name, birth date and country of birth of each dependent must be recorded on the I-134 Affidavit of Financial Support.  This information is essential for completing the I-20.

Health Insurance

RCC highly recommends F-1 students to purchase health insurance coverage for their stay in the United States. These links are health insurance providers and informational resources for international students and are not affiliated with Randolph Community College.

Housing & Transportation

RCC has no dormitories, residence halls or on-campus housing. All students must arrange for housing in the area. To obtain additional housing information you may contact the Asheboro/Randolph Chamber of Commerce, 137 S. Fayetteville St., Asheboro, NC 27203, U.S.A. Telephone: 336-626-2626 or visit

Transportation options include the Piedmont Authority for Regional Transportation Service (PART) and Regional Coordinated Area Transportation System (RCATS), which RCC partners with to offer student vouchers.

Financial Aid

RCC does not offer financial aid or scholarships to international students. In general, only permanent residents and citizens of the U.S. are eligible for financial aid. Potential scholarships may be found at:

Academic Calendar

Please refer to the academic calendar for specific academic dates.
RCC academic calendar

Other Links

  • For more information about becoming an international student in the United States, please visit
  • For information about the different Embassies, please visit
  • For information on tax issues concerning students that hold visas, please visit
  • For more information about U.S. Department of State Visa, please visit
  • For assistance with the visa process or other Embassy questions, please contact Education USA Advising Center at
  • For more information about the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles, please refer to

Office Phone Number

Mailing Address
Office of Student Success
Randolph Community College
629 Industrial Park Avenue
Asheboro, NC 27205

Office Location
Student Services Center

Office Hours
8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Mon. - Thurs.
8 a.m. to 3 p.m., Fri.