Veterans Education Benefits


Veterans, thank you for your service. We owe you a debt of gratitude for your selflessness. We want to help your civilian transition process run as smoothly as possible, at least when it comes to your education. Our team is here for you, to ensure you get the best benefits for your unique situation. 

A Message from RCC's President: "We eagerly embrace veterans as students at RCC … we have someone designated specifically to help veterans, clear the obstacles to get into school so they can move on with their careers after their service in the military. Without your service, our nation would be less than the glorious shining light than it is. Thank you so much for all you have done. I wish you the very best in all that you do. "I particularly wanted to serve in the military, one because I wanted to provide a service to my country, but two because I grew up with a photo in my home of my father in his Air Force uniform before I was even born, before he and my mother even married, and I was so impressed with that photo of him in that uniform and knowing that he had served his country that I made it a goal in my life that one day I want to put on that uniform and I want to do my part to help keep America safe for my children and their children."                                                        -Dr. Robert S. Shackleford Jr., Chaplain, U.S. Army Reserves, 22 years

Randolph Community College education programs are approved by the North Carolina State Approving Agency for the enrollment of persons eligible for education assistance benefits from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Those entitled to VA benefits are eligible veterans, participants in the Montgomery G.I. Bill® contributory program, active duty military in voluntary education programs, drilling National Guard, drilling Reservists, and spouses and children of disabled or deceased veterans. The Office of Financial Aid and Veterans Affairs provides information and assistance to students applying for VA education benefits.

G.I. Bill® and Tuition Assistance Programs

See detailed information about the particular G.I. Bill® and Tuition Assistance Programs below.

The following are general descriptions of the veteran education benefits available at Randolph Community College. Please see the VA Certifying Official regarding any specific questions regarding these programs.

Veterans Education Benefits

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill®.

As of August 1, 2009, the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill® is effective for training. Approved training under the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill® includes graduate and undergraduate degrees, and vocational/technical training. All training programs must be offered by an institution of higher learning (IHL) and approved for G.I. Bill® benefits. Additionally, tutorial assistance, and licensing and certification test reimbursement are approved under the Post- 9/11 G.I. Bill®.

The Post-9/11 G.I. Bill® will pay your tuition based upon the highest in-state tuition charged by a public educational institution in the state where the school is located. The amount of support that an individual may qualify for depends on where they live and what type of degree they are pursuing. For a summary, compare the benefits.

This Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® will pay eligible individuals:

  • Tuition & fees directly to the school not to exceed the maximum in-state tuition & fees at a public Institution of Higher Learning.
  • A monthly housing allowance based on the Basic Allowance for Housing for an E-5 with dependents at the location of the school.
  • An annual book stipend of up to $1,000 paid proportionately based on enrollment
  • A one-time rural benefit payment for eligible individuals.

This benefit is payable only for training at an Institution of Higher Learning (IHL). Individuals only enrolled in distance learning courses will be eligible for a monthly housing allowance equal to 50% of the national average of all Basic Allowances for Housing. If you are on active duty you will not receive the housing allowance or books & supplies stipend. This benefit provides up to 36 months of education benefits. If your release from active duty was before January 1, 2013, there is a 15-year time limitation for use of benefits. For individuals whose last discharge date is on or after January 1, 2013, the time limitation has been removed.

The Post-9/11 G.I. Bill® also offers some service members the opportunity to transfer their G.I. Bill® to dependents.

To apply for these benefits, click here.

The Montgomery G.I. Bill® - Active Duty (MGIB-AD) program provides up to 36 months of education benefits. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances. Generally, benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty. This program is also commonly known as Chapter 30.

See Payment Rates for current rates of payment.

To apply for these benefits, click here.

The Montgomery G.I. Bill® - Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. You may use this education assistance program for degree programs, certificate or correspondence courses, cooperative training, independent study programs, apprenticeship/on-the-job training, and vocational flight training programs. Remedial, refresher and deficiency training are available under certain circumstances.

Eligibility for this program is determined by the Selected Reserve components. VA makes the payments for this program. You may be entitled to receive up to 36 months of education benefits and your eligibility for the program normally ends on the day you leave the Selected Reserve.

One exception to this rule exists if you are mobilized (or recalled to active duty from your reserve status), in this case your eligibility may be extended for the amount of time you are mobilized PLUS four months. For example, if you are mobilized for 12 months your eligibility period is extended for 16 months (12 months active duty PLUS 4 months.) So even if you leave the reserves after mobilization, you may have additional eligibility to the MGIB-SR.

See Payment Rates for current rates of payment.

To apply for these benefits, click here.

The Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA) provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. The Forever G.I. Bill® has reduced the number of months to receive benefits to 36 months for those who become eligible for them 08/01/2018 or later.These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

To apply for these benefits, click here.

For payment rates, click here.

The NC National Guard Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) program is available to any student who is an eligible member of the North Carolina National Guard and pays tuition/fees. Students who wish to use TAP must apply for NCTAP online through For more information about the application process please contact Stacy M. Steinmetz at 919-664-6000 ext. 46649 or

GoArmyEd is the virtual gateway for all eligible Active Duty, National Guard and Army Reserve Soldiers to request Tuition Assistance (TA) online, anytime, anywhere for classroom and distance learning. It allows Soldiers to manage their education records including college classes, testing, on-duty classes and Army Education Counselor support. Students who wish to use GoArmyEd must apply online through

If you have a service connected disability that limits your ability to work or prevents you from working the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment program, also referred to as Chapter 31 may be able to help. For more information, the website is

The Returning Support for Veterans Program (RSVP) is a one-stop service where veterans and their families can receive all the information they need. Whether the concern is about military benefits, veteran's education, health services, job or other issues, RSVP is for you.

You can access RSVP information and referral by calling the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services' CARE-LINE at 1-800-662-7030, 24 hours a day, or by emailing

You can also access or for benefit assistance and finding the county or district service office nearest you.


Apply for VA education benefits

  • Go to
  • Choose Apply for education benefits. Complete the application and submit. The VA will contact you by mail once they have processed your information.
  • When you receive your Certificate of Eligibility, please bring a copy to our office for your file. We will also need member copy 4 of your DD214.
  • If you have received veteran's benefits at another college, you will need to complete form 22-1995 (Change of Program or Place of Training) or, if you are a dependent or spouse using Chapter 35 benefits, use form 22-5495.  Once you have completed these forms please submit to the VA and bring a copy to our office. We cannot process your VA benefits without a copy of this form
Complete an Application for Admission
  • Go to Apply Now to complete application.
  • Have all of your transcripts (high school and college) sent to RCC
  • Complete Placement testing if needed
Apply for Financial Aid
  • The website to apply is
  • The school code is 005447
After registering
  • Bring a copy of your schedule to the Financial Aid Office. You will need to do this EVERY semester to ensure certification.
  • Note: VA will not pay for classes that are not required for your major, audited classes or classes taken previously for which you received a passing grade.
  • Once you are registered for classes, if you make any changes to the schedule, please make sure you contact our office. The VA will be notified of your last date of attendance rather than the day you sign your drop form. If you are receiving Post 9/11 benefits and you drop a class after classes start, you will be responsible for repaying the VA for that class.

All chapters except Chapter 35 and Post/911 have to self-certify each month. This can be done online at under "Verify School Attendance" or by calling 1-877-823-2378 on the last day of each month.

To be eligible for educational benefits, the student must be enrolled in an approved curriculum, taking only those courses required for graduation in the chosen curriculum. Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress. The VA will not pay for enrollment in the following:

  • course audits
  • repeated courses previously passed
  • credit by examination
  • courses not required in chosen curriculum
  • continuing education classes
  • dropped or withdrawn classes

Click here to determine which chapter you may be eligible for and compare your options.