50 Facts for 50 Years
- What was the first name of Randolph Community College?
Answer: Randolph Industrial Education Center
- What year did the first major plans for a technical school in Randolph County begin?
- What leading Asheboro industrialist was responsible for submitting a bid for the proposed school to the State Board of Education and in what year?
Answer: Charles W. McCrary, Sr. of Acme-McCrary, Inc.
- Where were the temporary headquarters of the college before the campus opened?
Answer: In the basement of Fayetteville Street School on Fayetteville Street in Asheboro
- Who served as the first director? (now referred to as president)
Answer: Al G. Farkas
- Since 1962, who has served the longest term as president?
Answer: Merton H. Branson (1964-1988)
- Who was the first chairman of the joint city-county school board committee who oversaw the operations of the school from 1960-1963?
Answer: T. Henry Redding
- Who was the first chairman of the Board of Trustees and in what year?
Answer: J. W. (Willie) Plummer, 1963
- When did the first out-of-school training program begin?
Answer: March 1962
- Who was the architect and general contractor for the first building on campus?
Answer: J. J. Croft (Architect); S. E. Trogdon and Sons (Contractor)
- When did the first class of adult basic education begin?
Answer: April 1964
- What was the original size of the Administration/Education Center prior to its additions?
Answer: 33,000 Square Feet
- What was the second name of the school and what year did the name change?
Answer: Randolph Technical Institute, October 1965
- Who was appointed as the Center’s second director in 1961?
Answer: Robert E. Carey
- What month, day, and year did the college open for curriculum classes?
Answer: September 4, 1962
- How many faculty members and staff members were employed when the college opened?
Answer: 7 faculty members, 5 staff members
- What programs were available when the college opened?
Answer: Machine Shop, Drafting, Auto Mechanics, Welding, Electronics, Electrical
- How many students were enrolled when the college first opened?
- When was the college first officially dedicated?
Answer: April 1963
- What curriculum program produced the first graduates and when did they graduate?
Answer: Welding, November 1963
- When was the first official graduation ceremony held and where?
Answer: August 16, 1964, Administration/Education Center, on campus
- How many students graduated in the first official graduation exercises?
- When did the school become Randolph Technical College?
Answer: July 1979
- The College’s fourth name change to Randolph Community College came in what year?
- What is RCC’s mascot? What year was the mascot officially approved by the Board of Trustees?
Answer: Armadillo, 1980
- What are official schools colors? What year was orange added?
Answer: Reflex Blue and Silver, 2009
- Who became RCC’s president when Merton H. Branson retired in 1988?
Answer: Dr. Larry K. Linker
- In what year did RCC’s Archdale campus open?
- What new facility opened on RCC’s campus in 1999?
Answer: Campus Store
- Who served as RCC’s President from 2000-2006?
Answer: Dr. Richard T. Heckman
- Which former President came out of retirement to serve as interim President in 2006?
Answer: Dr. Larry K. Linker
- In what year was the College’s Foundation established?
- When did the College offer its first Internet courses?
Answer: January 1999
- What was the College’s first specialty program and what year did it start?
Answer: Interior Design, 1967
- Who was hired to start the college’s first specialty program?
Answer: Instructors Dwight Holland and Dennis McMullin
- In what year did the College begin to offer college transfer courses?
Answer: 1970 through a contractual agreement with University of North Carolina at Greensboro
- A $2.5 million bond referendum passed in 1978, provided the College with funds to construct what three buildings?
Answer: Vocational-Technical Center, Student Services Center, Learning Resources Center
- What year did the Randolph Early College High School open?
- What is the Randolph Early College High School mascot?
Answer: The Raven
- Who is the Bell and Clocktower named for and what year was it placed on campus?
Answer: J.B. Davis, Former CEO of Klaussner Furniture, 2003
- What was the first sports team at RCC, what year did it start, and who were the coaches?
Answer: Baseball, 1968/Benny Hampton and Vernon Felton
- What was the name of RCC’s basketball team in the early 1970s?
Answer: The Patriots
- The Automotive and Autobody programs are located in a facility which bears which NASCAR racing legend and Randolph County native’s name?
Answer: Richard Petty
- What year did the first addition to the original building open?
- The College had an Archdale Extension facility prior to the opening of the Archdale Campus in 1990. What year did the extension site open and where was it located?
Answer: 1984, 213 Trindale Road in Archdale, NC
- Who was the speaker at the first formal graduation ceremony?
Answer: Lacy Presnell, Jr., Randolph County Schools Superintendent, 1961-1969
- What three other counties did the College serve when it first opened?
Answer: Montgomery, Anson, and Stanly
- What was the College’s first satellite center and what years was it open?
Answer: Knitter-Fixer Training School in Troy, NC, 1963
- Who holds the record for full-time years of service at the College?
Answer: Dr. Larry K. Linker (37 years, 1963-2000)
- When was RCC’s University Center established? Which colleges and university were the first to be a part of the University Center?
Answer: 2008/Pfeiffer University, Salem College, and Greensboro College