The new 11,800-square-foot Business Education Center opened for classes.
President M.H. Branson retired after 26 years with the College, 24 as president. Dr. Larry K. Linker took over as president of RCC, becoming the College's fourth leader.
RCC opened its Archdale Campus and the 14,500-square-foot Computer Technology Center on the Asheboro Campus.
A statewide community college bond referendum was approved by voters, providing funds for a new building program at RCC.
December 31, 1994
Dr. John L. Roberson, Dean of Student Services since 1965, and RCC employee since July 1962, retires. Roberson was the last original employee of the College who was hired before the College opened.
The school opened a 15,744-square-foot addition to the photography studio in the Administration/Education Center on the Asheboro Campus. The state-of-the-art addition effectively doubled the space devoted to this curriculum, which draws students from all over North Carolina and beyond.
1995-96 School Year
Randolph Community College enrolled 10,930 students, 1,930 in curriculum programs and 9,000 in continuing education.
RCC's Hosiery Technology Center opens.
J. W. Plummer retired from the Board of Trustees; Tyler Lisk was elected chairman.
RCC launches the college's website, which included general information about the College, its services and facilities, Curriculum and Continuing Education course offerings, information on the RCC Foundation and campus maps.
The new 21,060-square-foot Health & Science Center and a 6,600-square-foot addition to the Design Center were opened. The College's facilities have grown to a total square footage of 267,899.
RCC opened a 2,800-square foot, two-classroom addition to the Archdale campus.
RCC began offering its own autonomous Associate in Arts (College Transfer) program. The previous program had been a contractual agreement with the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.
Jerry W. Tillman was elected as the new chairman of the RCC Board of Trustees, when former chairman Tyler R. Lisk retired.
Long time staff member, Vice President Allan Edwards retires after 33 years with the College.
RCC offered its first Internet courses with the launch of its Virtual Campus. The initial offering included eight courses.
The Randolph County JobLink Career Center, located on RCC's Asheboro Campus, received its charter from the Regional Workforce Development Board.
A 3,720-square-foot Campus Store opened behind the Student Services Center, connected by a covered walkway.
Beta Theta Rho, RCC's chapter of Phi Theta Kappa, is chartered. Dacia Murphy-Price and Amanda Rivers, both English instructors at RCC, were the chapter's first advisors.
RCC receives reaffirmation of accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
Dr. Larry Linker retires as president of the College after spending 37 years in administrative positions, 12 years as president.
The RCC Board of Trustees chose Dr. Richard T. "Dick" Heckman as the new president and fifth leader in the history of the College.
2000-2001 School Year
Randolph Community College enrolled 12,023 students, 2,469 in curriculum programs and 9,374 in continuing education.
RCC's long-awaited Emergency Services Training Center opened on a 60-acre site on Old Cedar Falls Road, just east of Asheboro.
RCC awarded over 600 degrees, diplomas and certificates to students in its Curriculum, Adult High School and General Educational Development programs.
The RCC Board of Trustees honored former RCC President Merton H. Branson and former Board Chairman J.W. (Willie) Plummer with its first Distinguished Service Award.
The RCC Board of Trustees presented Dr. Larry Linker, retired RCC President, with its Distinguished Service Award.
Foundation Conference Center opens. Bell and Clock Tower placed in front of Foundation Conference Center.
October 12, 2003
Foundation Conference Center and JB Davis Bell and Clock Tower dedication. JB Davis was employed at the college from 1968-1970 as a Student Services counselor and went to work for Klaussner Furniture in 1970 where he retired as president and CEO in 2010.
The RCC Board of Trustees presents its Distinguished Service Award to Robert A. (Bob) Heist, Jr. and posthumously to Cecil P. Allen and Jerry M. Howell. Heist, Howell, and Allen, all Photography instructors, were credited for building the Photography program from 1969-2000.
RCC's Writing Center was established and opened for the first time with the beginning of the fall semester. Located in the computer lab on the first floor of the R. Alton Cox Learning Resources Center, it was staffed by full-time English instructors Clark Adams, Michelle Hines, Grey Lane, Dr. Melinda Lamb, and Dacia Murphy-Price. The Writing Center was moved to enlarged facilities on the second floor of the Learning Resources Center in May 2010.
Dr. Larry Linker came out of retirement to return as chief operating officer and interim president and served until December.
Randolph Early College High School begins classes on RCC's campus with its first class of students.
Dr. Bob Shackleford takes the helm as RCC's fourth president and sixth leader.
The RCC Board of Trustees posthumously awards Charles W. McCrary, Sr. its Distinguished Service Award. McCrary, an Asheboro industrialist, was a member of the State Board of Education from 1956-1965 and was involved in the establishment of Industrial Education Centers across the state from 1958-1963. All of these centers eventually became community colleges after 1963.
The College celebrated its 45th Anniversary with two days of events on a Friday evening and Saturday which recognized its first curriculum graduates (1963/1964) and founders/retirees of the college.
Pfeiffer University begins offering bachelor's degree level courses in Elementary Education on RCC's campus.
RCC's new 20,000-square-foot Automotive Systems Technology and Autobody Repair Center is named the "Richard Petty Education Center."
April 12, 2008
RCC holds first Student Leadership Academy. Fourteen students were chosen for the first academy.
The University Center of Randolph County is established with Pfeiffer University offering a bachelor's degree in Elementary Education, Greensboro College offering a bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice, and Salem College offering a bachelor's degree in Business Administration. The original RCC liaisons for these programs were Maria LeBaron (Pfeiffer University), Neil Weatherly (Greensboro College) and Clark Adams (Salem College).
Ground is broken on the Richard Petty Education Center.
Randolph Early College High School Modular Building opens.
RCC begins offering classes through videoconferencing and classes are transmitted back and forth between the Archdale Center and the Asheboro Campus.
Cultural Arts Series begins at Randolph Community College.
RCC's Basic Skills department opened the new Learning Center for English as a Second Language courses. The center is housed in the Chevy Center on South Fayetteville Street in Asheboro.
Richard Petty Education Center opens.
RCC's Cosmetology Center opens to the public. The Cosmetology Center, located in Hillside Shopping Center at 1003 S. Fayetteville Street, was planned to accommodate 36 students at a time at styling stations on the floor, plus students in two classrooms. The Center was planned to hold 10 shampoo stations, 12 dryers, a waxing room, and a manicure/pedicure area.
2,971 students enroll in college credit classes.
A 1/4 cent sales tax referendum is passed, which will provide funds to renovate the old Klaussner Furniture plant on Industrial Park Avenue for RCC programs and services.
May 19, 2010
Randolph Early College High School holds its first graduation ceremony on the front lawn of the campus.
RCC launches a Minority Male Mentoring Program. Arnold Gaines, Jr., student retention specialist, is named the administrator of the program. The group is later given the name Inner Strength 3MP.
May 24, 2011
RCC's 1,700-square-foot Welcome Center addition to the Student Services Center opens.
RCC receives reaffirmation of accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
August 12, 2011
A 5,700-square-foot state of the art Welding lab is opened at RCC's Archdale Center.
October 6, 2011
A groundbreaking ceremony is held for the renovation of the old Klaussner furniture plant on Industrial Park Avenue. The plant will be renamed the Continuing Education and Industrial Center.
RCC kicks off a year-long 50th birthday celebration at the annual Employee Appreciation Breakfast sponsored by the RCC Foundation. Faculty and staff returned to the campus where they gathered to form the number 50 and had an aerial photograph made.
RCC launches "50 Minutes for 50 Years," a volunteer action project, which involves faculty, staff, and students. The project's goal is to engage the RCC community in giving back to local organizations for supporting the college for 50 years.
April 17, 2012
The third-annual Academic Honors Ceremony is held at Rushwood Park Wesleyan Church. In recognition of RCC's 50th Anniversary, students from RCC's first graduating class who could have qualified for Academic Awards were honored at the ceremony. One of the last living instructors from 1962, Calvin Brower, who taught Drafting part-time, introduced the four alumni graduates.
May 1, 2012
Acclaimed watercolorist William Mangum gave two lectures in the R. Alton Cox Learning Resources Center auditorium and unveiled a portrait of the RCC campus that he was commissioned to paint for RCC's 50th Anniversary. Although Mangum has painted many college and university campuses in North Carolina, Randolph Community College was his first portrait of a North Carolina community college.
May 9, 2012
In recognition of RCC's 50th Anniversary, RCC alumni played a key role in the curriculum graduation ceremony. Two graduates from the first graduating class of 1963, and one graduate from each graduating class through 2011, were selected to participate in the 2012 curriculum graduation to represent all RCC alumni. The 50 alumni graduates wore graduation robes, led the processional, and were recognized in the ceremony. Special graduation speakers were Dr. R. Scott Ralls, president of the N.C. Community College System; North Carolina Senator Jerry Tillman; and Dr. Stuart B. Fountain, vice chair of the State Board of Community Colleges. Also making brief remarks was Dr. Lacy M. Presnell Jr., former Randolph County Schools superintendent (1961-1969) and the keynote speaker at RCC's first formal graduation exercises in 1964.
May 19, 2012
The Salem College Bachelor of Science in Business Administration program, part of the University Center of Randolph County, graduates its first students.
June 2, 2012
The Randolph Community College Foundation's third annual Dancing with the Randolph Stars event helps to raise $129,000 before expenses, to be used for student scholarships through the RCC Foundation.
RCC announces the establishment of an Air Force ROTC program in conjunction with North Carolina A&T State University.
July 2, 2012
Winston-Salem State University joins the University Center of Randolph County and offers a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree.
RCC is one of only two community colleges in North Carolina that achieved "Exceptional Institutional Performance" standards for the fourth consecutive year from the NC Community College System.
September 4, 2012
A 50th birthday celebration is held on campus on the exact date that curriculum classes started 50 years before.
September 11, 2012
In honor of the 50th Anniversary, RCC's Photography Department hosts an alumni photography show at the Randolph Arts Guild.
September 20, 2012
Former RCC Visiting Artist Michael Stephenson performs with the Randolph Jazz Band, (a band he helped to form) as part of the 50th Anniversary.
October 17, 2012
Carolina Graduate School of Divinity joins the University Center of Randolph County and offers a Master of Arts degree in Ministry and a Master of Divinity.
October 20, 2012
As part of its 50th Anniversary celebration, RCC recognizes its founders and retirees at a Founders Day luncheon. An Employee Service Recognition Board was unveiled at the luncheon and was placed in the front of the Administration/Education Center.
October 27, 2012
RCC's Interior Design program, the first in the NC Community College System, celebrates its 45th Anniversary.
November 6, 2012
North Carolina A&T State University joins the University Center of Randolph County and offers a Bachelor's degree in Electronics Technology with a concentration in Information Technology.
November 27, 2012
As part of the College's 50th Anniversary, a time capsule, sponsored by the Student Government Association, is buried. The capsule is to be opened on September 4, 2062, the College's 100th Anniversary.
January 4, 2013
A ribbon-cutting ceremony and open house are held for the new 46,000 Continuing Education and Industrial Center, a former Klaussner Furniture plant. The CEIC, designed to meet LEED gold standards of energy conservation, is believed to be the first public building of its kind in Randolph County. The building contains a Corporate Training Center, the Computer-Integrated Machining, Electronics/Electrical Technology, and Industrial Systems Technology programs and also provides additional space for the Continuing Education department and Small Business Center.
February 18, 2013
N.C. Gov. Pat McCrory officially signed his first piece of legislation in RCC's Continuing Education and Industrial Center. Senate Bill 14, sponsored by former RCC Board of Trustee Member Sen. Jerry Tillman, increased access to career and technical education.
March 6, 2013
In observance of the North Carolina Community College System's 50th Anniversary, Randolph Community College joined other community colleges across the state in unveiling a portrait of W. Dallas Herring, member of the State Board of Education from 1955-1977 and chairman of the board from 1957-1977. Herring was heavily involved in the establishment of a statewide system of industrial education centers which formed the nucleus of the present North Carolina Community College System when it was formed in 1963. Today, he is known as the "Father of the NC Community College System." The portrait was hung in the Administration/Education Center Boardroom.
May 8, 2013
Over 460 students graduate at RCC's curriculum graduation ceremony held in the Asheboro High School gymnasium. A special presentation was made to Dr. Robert S. Shackleford, Jr. as the recipient of the 2013 N.C. Community College System's President of the Year. During Shackleford's tenure from 2007-present, the Richard Petty Education Center, Randolph Early College High School Modular Building, and Welcome Center were opened. A 1/4 cent sales tax referendum was approved for RCC facilities. The former Klaussner Funiture Plant was purchased, renovated, and opened as the Continuing Education and Industrial Center. A second classroom building was also added to the Emergency Services Training Center.
RCC opens the Randleman Center, a 4,440-square-foot facility at 100 Hillary Street in the old police department building. Initial offerings at the RCC Randleman Center include basic computer skills in English and Spanish, advanced computer skills classes, Quickbooks classes, Pharmacy Technician classes, English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), an employability lab, and high school equivalency classes. RCC’s Small Business Center director will be available on site one day a week to help local businesses, and Rural Entrepreneurship through Action Learning (REAL) classes will available at the facility beginning in February.
March 21, 2014
The RCC Foundation hosts a Retiree luncheon in Azalea Park on the Asheboro Campus. It is hoped that this will become an annual event.
July 17, 2014
Natasha Dowdy, director of administration at United Brass Works Inc. in Randleman, and T. Reynolds Lisk, president of Insurance Associates of the Triad in Asheboro, join the RCC Board of Trustees.
August 12, 2014
Dr. Stuart B. Fountain receives the 2014 Distinguished Service Award from the RCC Board of Trustees. Dr. Fountain is a retired local dentist, former Board of Trustee Chairman of Guilford Technical Community College, and a member of the North Carolina Community College Board. Dr. Fountain served as chair of the Planning Committee and vice chair of the Excellence in Teaching Award Committee at the state board. He previously served as chair of the full board from 2011-2013 and chair of the Policy Committee from 2007-2011. On the local level, Dr. Fountain was a member of the RCC Foundation Board from 2007 to 2013. During that time, he served on several Foundation committees and helped with interviews for the Foundation Ambassadors. In 2011, he participated as a dancer in the Foundation’s Dancing with the Randolph Stars fundraiser. He also has co-sponsored the College’s Student Leadership Academy for eight years. In addition, Dr. Fountain has been an active member of the Randolph County Hospice Board, a member of the Asheboro City Council, active member of First United Methodist Church in Asheboro, Rotary District Governor, past president of the N.C. Dental Society and the American Endodontic Society, vice president of the American Dental Association, and served on the faculty of the N.C. School of Dentistry at UNC-Chapel Hill. One of his most recent notable awards was the Order of the Long Leaf Pine, presented by the Governor of North Carolina to honor persons who have a proven record of service to the State of North Carolina or some other special achievement.
September 18, 2014
Harold Holmes, retired banking executive and longtime member of the Randolph County Board of Commissioners, joins the RCC Board of Trustees.
September 30, 2014
The Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) awards initial accreditation to the Medical Assisting Associate Degree program at Randolph Community College’s Archdale Center.
November 3, 2014
RCC purchases the former Bost Neckwear property at 503 and 505 Industrial Park Avenue for $826,267. The 4.2-acre tract contains a building and warehouse, amounting to 18,240 square feet; the property’s rear was originally leased for overflow campus parking. Plans are made to relocate the Cosmetology Center from its leased facilities at the Hillside Shopping Center on Fayetteville Street.
November 6, 2014
RCC dedicates its new Charles W. McCrary Sr. Boardroom in the Administration/Education Center. McCrary Sr. was the son of Acme-McCrary founder D. B. McCrary. He and his father helped found Randolph Hospital and he was president of Randolph Hospital from 1946-1976 and was vice president until his death in 1984. He served on the Asheboro City Board of Education from 1936-1956 and was chairman from 1941-1956, when he was appointed to the N.C. State Board of Education by N.C. Gov. Luther H. Hodges. He served on the state board until 1965. While serving on the State Board of Education, he was appointed chairman of the Committee for Terminal Education which was charged for developing the statewide plan for the Industrial Education Centers, all of which eventually became state community colleges. McCrary worked closely with Dallas Herring, chairman of the State Board of Education, and Gov. Luther Hodges to develop these IEC’s, which served as the nucleus for the present North Carolina Community College System. Twenty Industrial Education Centers were opened from 1958-1963. In 1957, McCrary made the first bid in Raleigh for the establishment of such a school in Randolph County. This was the first bid of any county in North Carolina. However, other counties would beat Randolph in opening their schools. McCrary helped community leaders see the potential the school had for developing Randolph’s industrial potential, bridging the gap between the production worker and the engineer, increasing the per capita income of the county, and stimulating interest in new and expanding industries.
January 20, 2015
The Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (JRCERT) awarded initial accreditation for a period of three years to Randolph Community College's Radiography program. This is the maximum duration that may be awarded by JRCERT.
April 14, 2015
Asheboro City Schools, Randolph County Schools, and Randolph Community College announce a partnership project called Pathways to Prosperity to create seamless educational pathways for students to go from local high schools to community college into lucrative advanced manufacturing jobs.
July 16, 2015
Rick Powell and PEMMCO Manufacturing were presented with the 2015 Distinguished Service Award by the RCC Board of Trustees. Rick Powell, president of the Asheboro-based manufacturer of precision machine parts, accepted the award. Over the years, PEMMCO has hired a number of RCC graduates and continually provides feedback on the performance of those graduates so that RCC can improve its programs. Several of the company’s employees serve on the Computer-Integrated Machining advisory committee. PEMMCO has made numerous contributions to the RCC Foundation, and Powell appeared in a video supporting the College’s 2014-2015 capital budget request to the Randolph County Commissioners. They have also provided numerous support letters for grant applications.
September 4, 2015
Randolph Community College holds its first Founders Day to commemorate the opening of the college as the Randolph Industrial Education Center on September 4, 1962.
September 24, 2015
Randolph Community College was named a partner in a $9.2 million “First in the World” grant in a consortium of 10 community colleges in North Carolina to extend a student retention program that focuses on proactive student counseling and coaching.
November 16, 2015
Randolph Community College’s Foundation names its Pledge Fund the Robert Shackleford Emergency Fund. The fund provides assistance to students facing financial emergencies that may cause them to drop out of school.
December 7, 2015
Randolph Community College’s Library adds a Library LibGuide website for its archives and special collections.
March 17, 2016
Randolph Community College Board of Trustees name the Continuing Education and Industrial Center’s (former Klaussner Furniture warehouse) Corporate Training Center room the JB and Claire Davis Corporate Training Center. JB Davis, a counselor at Randolph Technical Institute from 1968-1970, went on to become president of Klaussner Furniture Industries before his retirement. Davis worked closely with RCC President Bob Shackleford to secure the former Klaussner Furniture warehouse for use by the college. An unveiling for the new name of the Corporate Training Center was held on May 19.
September 15, 2016
A ribbon-cutting ceremony and open house are held for the new Cosmetology Center on the Asheboro Campus. Like its Continuing Education and Industrial Center neighbor, the 10,865-square-foot facility at 503 Industrial Park Avenue was transformed from an old factory/warehouse building (formerly Bost Neckwear) into a dynamic, beautiful learning environment. The facility includes 44 student styling stations, 10 shampoo stations, 16 hair dryers, separate facial and waxing rooms, a manicure /pedicure area featuring massaging pedicure chairs, and three classrooms.