RCC History

Dr. Larry Keith Linker (11/6/1934- )

Dr. Larry Keith Linker

President (7/1/1988-6/30/2000)

Dr. Larry K. Linker was named the second president to succeed Merton H. Branson in July 1988. Linker, a native of Cabarrus County, North Carolina, was hired as Agricultural Technology coordinator on July 17, 1963, and had held various administrative positions prior to being named president. Linker obtained his B.S. in Agricultural Education from North Carolina State University, his M.A. in Administration from Appalachian State University, and his Ed.D. from Nova University.

A former high school agriculture teacher and assistant principal, Linker came to his position with a great deal of experience in education and 25 years of service to RCC when he became the second president of the College. Linker was heavily responsible for the establishment of the RCC Foundation as his dissertation was written on establishing a college foundation. Linker worked diligently to secure funds to establish the Associate Degree Nursing program and helped lead the Foundation to the prominence it holds today. During Linker's tenure, the college opened a Computer Technology Center, an Archdale Center, a Photography Imaging Center, a Health and Science Center, Campus Store, addition to the Design Center, and Emergency Services Training Center. Several new programs were added during Linker's tenure including Criminal Justice Technology, Early Childhood Education, and the College's own College Transfer program.

Linker retired in June 2000, yet continued to work until 2003 on a part-time basis to assist with the campaign for a Foundation Conference Center and the JB Davis Bell and Clock Tower. He was named Director Emeritus of the RCC Foundation Board and also was the recipient of the RCC Board of Trustees' Distinguished Service Award in 2003. Linker came out of retirement to become the chief operating officer of the College from March 2006-December 2006. He currently holds the record for years of full-time service to the college with 37 years.

April 3, 1958*

Date Approved by State Board of Education

Fall 1961

Construction Begins on First Building (Administration/Education Center)

September 4, 1962

Date of official opening 

1962

First Training Program: Certificate (March)

1962

First Continuing Education Classes (September)

1962

First Curriculum Classes: Certificate/Diploma (September)

1965

First Degree Programs Offered: A.A.S. (October)

1980

Armadillo Mascot Approved (October 30)

1980

Reflex Blue & Silver Approved as Official School Colors (October 30)

2009

Orange is added as one of the Official School Colors and a new logo is approved (March)