Second Director (11/1/1961-12/30/1963)
Robert E. Carey, a native of Mountain Top, Pa., was the second director of the Randolph Industrial Education Center, and replaced Farkas on November 1, 1961. Carey completed his B.S. and M.A. in Industrial Education from Penn State University.
From 1933 to 1942, he was employed as a high school teacher in Mountain Top, Pa., Royersford, Pa., and Pitman, N.J., where he taught English, general science, mechanical drawing and woodworking. He also taught industrial organization and management at the University of Detroit. From 1942 to 1945, he was in the U.S. Navy where he organized induction programs for recruits or "boots" entering Aviation Training School. He taught hydraulics, wrote and edited training manuals on electricity, hand tools, dope and fabrics, engines and hydraulics. From 1945 to 1949, he worked for the Dodge division of Chrysler Corp. in Detroit, Mich., as a conference leader and foreman trainer. From 1949 to 1954, his work was with the Motor Products Corporation in Detroit, where he was employed as a training director, training foreman and college men for junior executive positions. From 1954 to 1961, Carey was employed by the Arabian American Oil Company of Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, and Sidon as a lecturer, senior trainer, and teacher. He prepared lectures for the induction of new employees and delivered lectures designed to make American employees better qualified to work in Saudi Arabia. He also organized and conducted informational sessions for foreman and taught English and mathematics to Arabs.
Upon being hired as Director of the Randolph Industrial Education Center in November 1961, Carey immediately became involved in the Asheboro and Randolph County communities by working with business leaders, civic leaders, and other important figures in business and industry to help make the Industrial Education Center a reality in Randolph County. He visited other Industrial Education Centers throughout the state to gain insight into their operations. The school truly began to take shape during Carey's tenure, and although it was relatively brief (1961-1963), Carey was responsible for helping the school open. While still operating out of the Fayetteville Street School office, Carey began assembling a staff of a Secretary and Maintenance Supervisor. He immediately began a publicity program to generate interest in the school and toured around the state to promote the school and its curriculum by speaking to service clubs, industrial groups, schools, PTA's, and guidance counselors. He spoke to the Kiwanis club, Rotary clubs, Toastmasters Club, and Civitan's Club on numerous occasions. He helped to form craft committees for each program area and even helped form a Senior Advisory Committee of local business leaders and a Women's Advisory Committee of area professional women, which was the first of its kind in any IEC or Technical Institute in North Carolina at the time.
Carey took over the reins as director as the College's first building was being constructed and helped to oversee its progress. He toured the four county areas of Randolph, Montgomery, Anson, and Stanly, which the college served at the time, to promote the College. He visited high schools, civic clubs, businesses and industries in these areas. In June of 1962, Associate Director Merton Branson was added to the staff and he and Carey worked to prepare the College for its opening in September of that year. Carey helped to develop brochures to distribute which would help publicize the school. He also set up the first out-of-school training program for the College in March of 1962 before the school opened, whose purpose was to train potential employees for the Asheboro and Needle Trades Industries.
Carey was the chief administrator when all the origiinal classroom and shop equipment was purchased for the school and helped to finalize curriculum plans and program offerings in preparation for the opening of the school. He also worked with student applications and registration and was involved with recruiting and hiring the original faculty and staff members. In the summer of 1962, he helped to move the administrative office from Fayetteville Street School to the new facility in the Industrial Park and was on hand for the new building's inspections. Carey helped to organize the first Open House events at the College in 1962 and 1963 and also planned the formal dedication ceremony in April of 1963, at which Dallas Herring spoke.
During Carey's tenure, the first job placements of students took place and the College saw its first students graduate with certificates and diplomas. New programs and courses were also developed during Carey's tenure as Director and the school's first satellite campus, a Knitter-Fixer School in Troy at Page street School began. The school evolved from an idea on paper to a fine physical plant and had grown from an enrollment of 75 students to over 400.