RCC History

2005 Distinguished Service Award

Marvin T. Caviness (1914-2012)

Marvin CavinessMarvin T. Caviness was born in Moore County, N.C., was a graduate and senior class president of Elise Academy and attended Guilford College. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II aboard the aircraft carrier, U.S.S. Cowpens, in the Pacific theater. He worked at Cone Mills in Greensboro after high school and on the weekends as a policeman for the City of Greensboro. In 1946, Marvin co-founded Asheboro Plumbing and Heating Company with his beloved brother, Dewey Caviness Sr., and retired after 56 years at the age of 88. Marvin was considered an unofficial goodwill ambassador of Asheboro and a humanitarian who loved everyone. He was a faithful volunteer in his community. He was an active member of the Kiwanis Club for 55 years, serving as president in 1968. In 1996, he received the prestigious Hixson Fellow Award from Kiwanis International. His community involvement continued as he served on the board of Planters National Bank, now First Bank. In 1976, he served as president of the Asheboro/Randolph Chamber of Commerce.

He was also one of Randolph Community College’s biggest fans and supported the College until his death in 2012 at age 98. In 1976, while serving as president of the Asheboro-Randolph Chamber of Commerce, he was appointed to co-chair a committee with Mrs. Sue Joyner to serve as a task force to better acquaint the public with the purposes and concept of Randolph Technical Institute and to garner public support for the school’s needs. The committee, which was known as “Citizens Concerned for Construction Needs at Randolph Technical Institute,” divided the county into six geographical areas and canvassed the county to educate and inform citizens of the construction needs at the school. The committee worked diligently between the years 1976-1978 and in February 1977, made a presentation to the Randolph County Commissioners on behalf of the College to fully fund the institution’s needs for the next fiscal year. The committee requested $2.8 million for a Learning Resources Center, Vocational/Technical Center, and Student Services Center. The committee’s efforts were largely the reason for the passage of a $2.5 million bond referendum for the College which passed in 1978. Caviness served for 24 years on the Randolph Community College Foundation Board from 1979-2003 and was a charter member. In 1983, he received an Honorary Associate Degree from Randolph Technical College.

He was named the first Director Emeritus of the Foundation in 2004. Caviness also served eight years on the Randolph Community College Board of Trustees from 1996-2004. Marvin worked many years to support the College and the College Foundation with his words, deeds, financial support, as well has through his many community connections. Marvin was a genuine, sincere and loving individual and an asset to his family, friends, church, and community. He attended many college functions and events into his late 90s and provided the invocation at many functions.

April 3, 1958*

Date Approved by State Board of Education

Fall 1961

Construction Begins on First Building (Administration/Education Center)

September 4, 1962

Date of official opening 

1962

First Training Program: Certificate (March)

1962

First Continuing Education Classes (September)

1962

First Curriculum Classes: Certificate/Diploma (September)

1965

First Degree Programs Offered: A.A.S. (October)

1980

Armadillo Mascot Approved (October 30)

1980

Reflex Blue & Silver Approved as Official School Colors (October 30)

2009

Orange is added as one of the Official School Colors and a new logo is approved (March)