RCC History

2006 Distinguished Service Award

The Randolph County Commission receives the 2006 DSA

Randolph County Boards of Commissioners

The recipient of the 2006 Distinguished Service Award was the past and present Randolph County Boards of Commissioners. At the presentation, held at Randolph Community College’s Emergency Services Training Center on Sept. 21, 2006, Jim Campbell, RCC Board of Trustees chairman, cited several specific instances of support from the county commission, including providing the original land for the development of the 33,000-square-foot building to house the Randolph Industrial Education Center in the early 1960s. He noted that the county commission supported the institution with operational monies as well as capital funding through appropriations, bond referendums, and COPS agreements through its evolution from the Randolph Industrial Education Center to Randolph Technical Institute, Randolph Technical College, and then to its present name.

Early on, the Board of Commissioners developed a deep appreciation for the training RCC could provide to business and industry, which played a major role in recruiting Goodyear, Timken, as well as other new business and industry, to Randolph County.

Campbell made a special mention of the support of past and present county managers Frank Willis and Richard Wells. He also pointed out that in 1997, the county board gave RCC the 60-acre tract of land for the Emergency Services Training Center and helped fund the center through a Certificates of Participation (COPS) agreement.

April 3, 1958*

Date Approved by State Board of Education

Fall 1961

Construction Begins on First Building (Administration/Education Center)

September 4, 1962

Date of official opening 

1962

First Training Program: Certificate (March)

1962

First Continuing Education Classes (September)

1962

First Curriculum Classes: Certificate/Diploma (September)

1965

First Degree Programs Offered: A.A.S. (October)

1980

Armadillo Mascot Approved (October 30)

1980

Reflex Blue & Silver Approved as Official School Colors (October 30)

2009

Orange is added as one of the Official School Colors and a new logo is approved (March)