Veterans Affairs

Randolph Community College education programs are approved by the North Carolina State Approving Agency for the enrollment of persons eligible for education assistance benefits from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Those entitled to VA benefits are eligible veterans, participants in the Montgomery G.I. Bill contributory program, active duty military in voluntary education programs, drilling National Guard, drilling Reservists, and spouses and children of disabled or deceased veterans. The Office of Financial Aid and Veterans Affairs provides information and assistance to students applying for VA education benefits.

GI Bill and Tuition Assistance Programs

For more information about the particular GI Bill and Tuition Assistance Programs offered at RCC, please click here.

Return Support for Veterans

The Returning Support for Veterans Program (RSVP) is a one-stop service where veterans and their families can receive all the information they need. Whether the concern is about military benefits, veteran's education, health services, job or other issues, RSVP is for you.

You can access RSVP information and referral by calling the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services' CARE-LINE at 1-800-662-7030, 24 hours a day, or by emailing This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

You can also access the North Carolina Division of Veterans Affairs for benefit assistance by visiting and finding the county or district service office closest to you.

Ensuring Successful Certification

It is the veteran's responsibility to clear with the VA any problems concerning payments. First, the veteran should check with the Office of Financial Aid and Veterans Affairs in the Student Services Center to make certain that all necessary paperwork has been processed. If there are any problems after the paperwork is in order, the veteran should call the VA at 1-888-442-4551.

General Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for educational benefits, the student must be enrolled in an approved curriculum, taking only those courses required for graduation in the chosen curriculum. Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress. The VA will not pay for enrollment in the following:

  • course audits
  • repeated courses previously passed
  • credit by examination
  • courses not required in chosen curriculum
  • continuing education classes
  • dropped or withdrawn classes


VA regulations governing institution-approved training of veterans and/or dependents of veterans require that certain documents be on file prior to certification of enrollment. To request the required application, please contact the VA Certifying Official at (336) 633-0308. Certification will not be made until the VA Certifying Official receives all documentation.  Required documentation is as follows:

  1. Application for Admission with all required documentation;
  2. Proper Application for VA benefits (form 22-1990, 22-5490, or 28-1990) and all required supporting documentation, including but not limited to the following items:
    • Certified copy of Page 4 of the DD-214, or National Guard form DD-2384 (NOBE) signed by the Unit Commander;
    • Certificate of Eligibility
  3. Official high school transcript or GED scores and all academic transcripts from each college previously attended;

If VA benefits have been received for prior training, the student must submit form 22-1995, Change of Program or Place of Training.

Several of these documents can be found on our "Important Forms" page.