Federal Work-Study

The Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program is federally funded by The United States Department of Education to provide need-based employment for college students. FWS allows students to work part time while attending an institution of higher learning. Students must have financial need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.


How do I apply?

All students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. The applicant must be:

  • Admitted to a degree or diploma program
  • Enrolled in at least six credit hours during each semester
  • Earn and maintain a GPA of at least 2.0
  • Meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress Guidelines for Federal Student Aid
  • Complete and submit a Federal Work Study Application to the Office of Financial Aid and Veterans Affairs. This application can be obtained by visiting our "Important Forms" Web page.


How do I find a job?

All work-study applications are filed in the Office of Financial Aid and Veterans Affairs. When a position is available, the supervisor for the department will look through these applications and conduct interviews based on the candidates that they believe are most qualified. Once a candidate is selected, they will be placed as a work-study and be given all appropriate employment paperwork.


How will I be paid?

Most students can earn their award amount by working 4-20 hours per week, during fall and spring semesters. If you receive a new scholarship or grant, your work-study award may have to be reduced or canceled.

Students are paid on the 17th of each month. All time sheets are due in the Office of Financial Aid and Veterans Affairs by the third day of each month, unless otherwise requested by the work-study coordinator. All time sheets should be accurate and signed by the supervisor. Any time sheet that is not signed will not be processed for payment. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that time sheets are turned in on time with correct signatures.


Can I study while on the job?

Even though this is called work-study, it does not mean you can study on your job. Work-study jobs are not any different from other jobs. It is a real job and you should treat it that way.


What is expected of me?


It is your responsibility to plan your personal and study schedules in a manner as not to conflict with your regular working hours. Work schedules, once established, will not be modified unless permanent changes are necessary due to circumstances beyond the individual's control.

Office Etiquette

Some of the jobs on campus will require student employees to answer the telephones; therefore, work-study students should be professional and courteous when assisting others. Staff telephones are not available for use by students for personal calls.

Dress and Appearance

Students have the freedom of choice in dress for class; however, students should come to an agreement with his/her supervisor on appropriate attire during working hours.


All students should strive to arrive on time and prepared for work.

Work Evaluation

All students will receive at least two evaluations during their time as a student employee. All evaluations will be forwarded to the Office of Financial Aid and Veterans Affairs and kept in the student's file.


What are the rules and regulations?


All students will need to sign a Confidentiality Agreement. Any breach of confidentiality or attempt to alter documents in any way will result in dismissal from the work-study program. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 is a federal law that institutions enforce and abide by to maintain the confidentiality of a student's record. Student workers should direct inquiries regarding another student's information to the supervisor.

Changing Jobs

Students are encouraged to remain in the same position for the entire academic year. Periods of short employment may not look favorable to future employers. Work-study is an opportunity to establish a good work record for your resume and obtain future letters of reference. If you are experiencing problems in your work area, you are encouraged to discuss concerns with your supervisor. If conflicts cannot be resolved, please contact the work-study coordinator. If you decide to quit your job, you should submit a written letter of resignation with your final date to your supervisor at least two weeks in advance.

Terminations/Job Release

A student or supervisor may terminate the work-study position and contract at any time.



General Office Information

Office Phone Number
(336) 633-0200

Mailing Address
Office of Financial Aid and Veterans Affairs
Randolph Community College
629 Industrial Park Avenue
Asheboro, NC 27205

Office Location
Student Services Center

Office Hours
8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Mon. - Thurs.
8 a.m. to 3 p.m., Fri.