Federal Financial Aid

Federal Financial Aid programs are funds administered by the U.S. Department of Education. Detailed information concerning these funds may be found at Federal Student Aid or the FAFSA. You may also obtain information by calling the U.S. Department of Education's toll-free number: 1-800-433-3243 (hearing-impaired individuals may call 1-800-730-8913). Federal Aid Programs are the largest, least restrictive, and most commonly received programs.

The programs that the Office of Financial Aid and Veterans Affairs directly awards to our students are listed below.


Pell Grant (PELL)

A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. Pell Grants are awarded usually only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or a professional degree. (In some cases, however, a student enrolled in a post-baccalaureate teacher certification program might receive a Pell Grant.) Pell Grants are considered a foundation of federal financial aid, to which aid from other federal and nonfederal sources might be added.

The maximum Pell Grant award for the 2019–20 (July 1, 2019, through June 30, 2020) will be $6,195. The maximum amount can change each award year and depends on program funding. The amount a student may receive, though, will depend not only on their financial need, but also on their costs to attend school, their status as a full-time or part-time student, and their plans to attend school for a full academic year or less.


Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) program is for undergraduates with exceptional financial need. Pell Grant recipients with the lowest expected family contributions (EFCs) will be considered first for a FSEOG. Just like Pell Grants, the FSEOG does not have to be repaid.  Each participating school receives a certain amount of FSEOG funds each year from the U.S. Department of Education’s office of Federal Student Aid. Once the full amount of the school’s FSEOG funds has been awarded to students, no more FSEOG awards can be made for that year. This system works differently from the Federal Pell Grant program, which provides funds to every eligible student.

You can receive between $100 and $4,000 a year, depending on when you apply, your financial need, the funding at the school you're attending, and the policies of the financial aid office at the school you choose to attend. 


Federal Work Study (FWS)

The Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program is federally funded by The United States Department of Education to provide need-based employment for college students. FWS allows students to work part-time while attending an institution of higher learning. Students must have financial need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. If you are interested in applying for the Work-Study program at RCC, please visit our Federal Work Study page.


Federal Direct Loans

After serious consideration and evaluation of the Federal Direct Loan Program, Randolph Community College has elected to not participate in the loan program.. For more information about educational loans at RCC, please visit our Student Loan Information page.



General Office Information

Office Phone Number
(336) 633-0200

Mailing Address
Office of Financial Aid and Veterans Affairs
Randolph Community College
629 Industrial Park Avenue
Asheboro, NC 27205

Office Location
Student Services Center

Office Hours
8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Mon. - Thurs.
8 a.m. to 3 p.m., Fri.