Teacher Renewal (Traditional Courses)
Randolph Community College offers courses for teacher renewal credit. Teachers should decide which course(s) to take and apply to their school district for prior approval. Students will receive a certificate that proves participation and completion of the course. Successful completion of a course is based on 100% attendance and, if required, passing a final exam. Certificates should be given to the personnel administrator of the local school districts. Certified teachers not currently employed should retain certificates of completion to submit with their application for certificate renewal before the renewal cycle expires.
Classroom Management/Positive Classroom Culture
Classroom Management/Positive Classroom Culture is a course designed to assist teachers in becoming more effective classroom managers. The course includes sessions on best practices for establishing a safe and orderly school environment that supports academic achievement, the importance of giving effective directions within the context of classroom management, the importance of narrating student behavior, and the importance of corrective action as outlined in a discipline hierarchy. Suggestions and strategies are also given for moving students toward a self-managed classroom and for building trusting relationships with students and parents.
71430 - 5:30-7:30P, TTh, 1/23/20-2/6/20
Student comments from previous classes:
- Excellent instructor. Liked the real-world examples from her experience.
- (The instructor) is an excellent teacher who is very passionate about her job.
- The interaction with other teachers was phenomenal. (The instructor) is fantastic! Her passion for education pours out – it’s contagious!
- Excellent teaching. (The instructor) knew the material very well.
- Really enjoyed her class. (The instructor) went out of her way to help and answer any questions we had.
- Great class. Would recommend to others.
- I really enjoyed the class and learned some strategies that I will implement at the beginning of the school year.
Effective Teacher Training
Effective Teacher Training is a basic preparation and information course for beginning teachers and substitute teachers. The course includes sessions on effective first day practices and time management strategies. The sessions on lesson preparation include an introduction to learning styles, activities and strategies for teaching through learning styles, components of an effective lesson plan, instructional monitoring and feedback, and planning for a substitute. Additional sessions focus on classroom management strategies, parent conferencing, and understanding the teacher evaluation system.
71424 - 5:30-8:30P, TTh, 2/11/20-3/5/20 (Subs - $70)
71426 - 5:30-8:30P, TTh, 2/11/20-3/12/20 (Lateral - $125)