FERPA/Students With Disabilities/Parents FAQ


The College's policy for the administration of student educational records is in accordance with the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. FERPA affords students certain rights with respect to their educational records. They are as follows:

  • The right to inspect and review the student's educational records within 45 days of the day RCC receives a request for access. Students should submit to the registrar, vice president for student services, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The College official will make arrangements for access and will notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the College official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  • The right to request the amendment of the student's educational records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading. Students may ask the College to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the College official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the College decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the College will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his/her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  • The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's educational records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by RCC in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the College has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his/her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an educational record in order to fulfill his/her professional responsibility.
  • The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Randolph Community College to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Ave. SW, Washington, D.C. 20202-4605.
  • The right to obtain a copy of Randolph Community College's student records policy (available from the Registrar's Office).


Students with Disabilities

Students with disabilities may contact the office of Student Services for assistance. It is recommended that students meet with the disability professional at Randolph Community College to learn how to receive accommodations for college classes. Tammy Cheek can be reached at 336-633-0246 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Policies regarding accommodations for college classes are different from policies for high school class accommodations. Information on accommodations for students at Randolph Community College can be accessed here. 



How do students apply to participate in the Career & College Promise program?

The application process varies and depends upon how the community college partner chooses to receive applications. Some may require a paper application while others may require an online application through CFNC.org. Students should see their high school guidance counselor to learn how to apply for CCP.

Can high school students enroll in a community college outside of Career & College Promise?

No, except for some non-credit courses taken on a self-supporting basis, including safe driving courses.

What is the maximum number of college credits that a CCP student can take?

There is no maximum number of college credits that a CCP student can take. However, students must complete the entire CCP pathway before pursuing additional courses. All CCP participants must maintain eligibility status.

Are local colleges permitted to let high school students take a course outside the pathway concurrently with their pathway-completing course?

No, students must complete their pathway before taking additional courses.

Can high school students take community college courses in the summer and have tuition waived?

All curriculum courses taken by Career & College Promise students at community colleges in accordance with in G.S. 115D-20(4) are tuition-waived except courses offered on a self-supporting basis. (This applies to Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters.)

Will CCP students receive honors or AP credit for completing college courses?

All community college courses included on the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) will receive weighted credit in accordance with NCDPI policy GCS-L-004. CTE and other courses not included in the CAA are not eligible for weighted credit.

Are there any community college courses that DPI will allow to count towards high school core course graduation requirements?

Yes, principals are permitted to award dual credit based upon course content relative to available high school courses and State Board of Education policy GCS-M-001, which allows students in a College Transfer pathway to receive high school credit toward graduation requirements using community college courses. Additionally, some CTE college courses may count towards high school CTE core requirements. Contact the high school counselor or principal for more information.

Are there any minimum class attendance requirements for CCP students?

CCP students enrolled in community college courses will be held to the same attendance and academic requirements as traditional college students.

What constitutes a “junior" or “senior” standing for CCP?

Junior or senior standing is determined by the local school administrative unit.

If a high school student completes all high school requirements in December (eligible to graduate) can he/she continue with the courses, tuition exempt, even if he/she has no high school classes?

No, high school graduates cannot participate in CCP. However, if the high school semester ends after the community college semester has started, the student would still be eligible for CCP. (Example: The community college semester begins on January 6th and the high school semester ends January 18th – the student would still be eligible for CCP because they were still a high school student when community college semester started).

Home school students and private school students:

  • Are home school and private school students eligible to participate in Career & College Promise?
    Yes, students attending a registered home school or a private school may participate in CCP. Generally, private school students are required to establish eligibility using the same criteria applied to public school students (GPA, assessment scores). Home school students and students from private schools not using traditional grading scales shall follow the community college’s established procedures for assessing eligibility and determining placement.
  • Can a college set a minimum and maximum age limit for home-schooled students? How do we know if they are juniors or seniors?
    No, the home school student’s principal (usually the parent) must certify that the student is a junior or senior and is making progress toward graduation.


  • Who pays the cost of the student’s text books?
    Textbooks are a student’s responsibility, however there may be local provisions for them. A student’s high school, the school district, or another local organization may cover these costs. Students should check with their principal or counselor to verify how these costs are paid.
  • Are student fees (e.g., technology fees and insurance fees) waived in addition to the waived tuition for CCP students?
    No, however local school districts and community colleges should work together to determine whether and how student fees will be paid for CCP participants.
  • Are any funds available to assist the high schools with transporting students to the college’s campus?
    Cooperative Innovative High Schools (including early college high schools, middle college high schools, and other CIHS models) receive transportation funds as part of a larger funding allotment at each district. No additional transportation funding is available for other CCP students.



High School Hub Staff

Main point of contact:
Andi Wilson

Andi Wilson

High School Hub
Enrollment Specialist

Phone: 336-318-4913

Hall Montgomery web

Montgomery Hall

High School Career Coach

Phone: 336-318-4913
Fax: 336-629-4695
Schools: Trinity High School and Wheatmore High School
Schedule an appointment
with Montgomery

Lindsay Hylton

Lindsay Hylton

High School Career Coach

Phone: 336-328-1764
Fax: 336-629-4695
Schools: Eastern Randolph High School and Providence Grove High School
Schedule an appointment
with Lindsay

lee miller

Lee C. Miller

High School Outreach Liaison
& Career Coach

Phone: 336-328-1764
Fax: 336-629-4695 Schools: Southwestern Randolph High School and Uwharrie Ridge 6-12
Schedule an appointment
with Lee

Isia Robledo

Isai Robledo

Director of Educational
Partnerships & Initiatives

Phone: 336-625-6085
Fax: 336-629-4695
Schools: Uwharrie Charter, private / homeschool students
Schedule an appointment
with Isai

misty west

Misty West

High School Career Coach

Phone: 336-328-1764
Fax: 336-629-4695
Schools: Asheboro High School and Randleman High School
Schedule an appointment
with Misty