The main goal of your plan is to SURVIVE.
DO something to increase your chance of survival.
DON’T just sit and wait. PREPARE for action.
Avoid – Avoid the situation at all cost. If you are not in a safe place, get to one as quickly as possible. If you are in a safe place, stay there and prepare for the “what if” situation.
- Create distance from the situation if possible
- Get behind a locked door
- Utilize cover or concealment
Barricade – Barricade yourself if you are in a safe location and create Time Barriers (anything that would make your position less likely or harder to access).
- Lock the door and turn out the lights
- Barricade the door; wedge under the door; place furniture behind the door
- Position yourself out of sight and have a secondary exit if possible
Counter – Counter the assailant by any means possible as the last resort.
- Work together to create chaos by throwing things and screaming
- Use anything as a weapon of opportunity
- Be a moving target and don’t stand still
- Grab the gun and hold on to it. Fight for the weapon.
‘Survive – Act quickly. You can potentially save a life if you stop blood loss.
- Apply direct pressure to the wound then bandage with anything available
- Apply a tourniquet – high on the limb as possible and very tight
- Pack the wound with available material
- Get help as quick as possible – notify 911 of the situation and location
SURVIVAL COULD DEPEND ON YOUR ACTIONS – BE PREPARED