Do you have leadership potential?
Make plans to participate
in Randolph Community College's 11th annual
Student Leadership Academy beginning in fall 2017.
Graduates of the 2016-2017 Randolph Community College Student Leadership Academy are pictured above.
Randolph Community College’s Student Leadership Academy provides a dynamic, intensive student leadership training/motivational experience to students who are selected in a competitive process by the Student Leadership Academy Committee.
Topics will include the following:
Group training session dates and other important dates are listed below. For evening sessions, light supper served from 5:30-6 p.m.; sessions from 6-8 p.m. in the Martha Luck Comer Foundation Conference Center, except graduation, which will be held at 6 p.m. in the R. Alton Cox Learning Resources Center Auditorium. Participants are required to attend each of these events.
Monday, June 5, 2017 - Applications available (links below)
Friday, Sept. 15, 2017, 3 p.m. - Deadline for submission of applications.
Week of Sept. 18, 2017 - Interviews with applicants.
Friday, Sept. 29, 2017, 5 p.m. - Time by which applicants will be notified of acceptance into the Academy.
Saturday, Oct. 7, 2017, 10 a.m.-1:30 p.m. - Session I (includes lunch).
Monday, Oct. 16, 2017 - Deadline to submit personality assessment results.
Thursday, Oct. 19, 2017, 5:30-8 p.m. - Dinner and Session II.
Thursday, Nov. 9, 2017, 5-8 p.m. – Dinner and Session III.
Wednesday, Nov. 22, 2017, 5 p.m. - Deadline for submission of project proposal to faculty advisors.
Wednesday, Dec. 6, 2017, 3 p.m. – Deadline for submission of portfolios.
Tues.-Thurs., January 23-25, 2018, Times TBA - One-on-one portfolio review sessions.
Thursday, Jan. 25, 2018, 5:30-8 p.m. - Dinner and Session IV.
Saturday, Jan. 27, 2018, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. - Tools of Leadership Luncheon and Session V.
Thursday, Feb. 15, 2018, 5:30-8 p.m. – Dinner and Session VI.
Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 4-5:30 p.m. - Graduation practice.
Tuesday, March 20, 2018, 6 p.m. – Student Leadership Academy Graduation, followed by reception.
Fountain-Luria Student Leadership Academy
Sponsors of the Fountain-Luria Student Leadership Academy are Dr. Stuart B. Fountain (left) and Dr. Alan S. Luria (right) through the Randolph Community College Foundation.
Dr. Stuart Fountain and Dr. Alan Luria have supported the Student Leadership Academy financially since its inception in 2008. Because of their continued support, the Student Leadership Academy was named after them in 2015.
What is required for Academy participants?
• Participants are required to attend ALL sessions.
(an excused absence for extenuating circumstances must have prior written approval by the committee chair and your designated advisor(s); the request must be made in writing (e-mail OK). If you have a Thursday evening class at RCC, you should make arrangements with your instructor to be absent during these sessions and get class assignments in advance).
• Participants must develop a personal portfolio (due by Dec. 6), which will be reviewed by a Human Resource professional during a mock interview between Tuesday, Jan. 23 and Thursday, Jan. 25, 2018.
• Participants must complete a group leadership project and present the project results at graduation. Groups will be required to develop a group contract with expectations of group members. Keep in mind that group projects involve time in meetings with team members to plan the project and time executing the project. Project proposals will be due to your faculty advisors by Wednesday, Nov. 22.
• Appropriate business casual or professional dress is required at all sessions. Further details on this will be given to students accepted into the Academy.
(Failure to complete any of these requirements is grounds for dismissal from the Academy.)
Who may apply?
• Any student who has completed 24 credit hours in a curriculum program at RCC with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher is eligible to apply.
How to apply? (Complete both steps)
• 2017-18 Student Leadership Academy Application (Word format - fill out the form and submit electronically)
• 2017-18 Student Leadership Academy Application (Adobe pdf format - fill out the form and submit electronically)
3. All applicants will be briefly interviewed by two SLA committee members during the week of Sept. 18, 2017. SLA Committee Chair Kelly Heath will contact you to set up that interview.